About IV Sedation & Anesthesia
At Millennium Surgical in Chicago, IL, our board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Bartlomiej Nierzwicki, and his nursing staff will go over the sedation options, including IV sedation, before your surgery. No need to have fear and anxiety about your procedure; our professional staff is trained in administering modern anesthesia techniques and monitoring you during the recovery period. Dr. Nierzwiki will explain how the IV sedation works (an ultra-fine needle will either be inserted in a vein in the patient’s hand or at the inner elbow). Still conscious, the patient will not feel painful sensations associated with the surgery and will be relaxed from the medication. With continuous monitoring throughout the procedure, we will make sure you are handling the procedure with ease and not experiencing complications from the anesthesia. During your consultation, you will meet with Dr. Nierzwicki to discuss the course of treatment and amount of sedation needed, along with any concerns or anxieties that you may have.
"Dr & staff here were nothing short of amazing!"- J.A. / Facebook / Jul 25, 2019
"I was recommended by my dentist to go see about getting my wisdom teeth out . I was very nervous about taking all 4 out but they were all very friendly from the moment I walked in to the moment I left . They did a great job in numbing me I didn’t feel a thing highly recommend"- A.S. / Facebook / Jul 13, 2019
"They are very friendly and professional I would definitely recommend them. I have 5 daughters i can see myself come back"- L.S. / Facebook / Jul 12, 2019
"Place that definitely deserves 5⭐️ in all departments . Doctor knowledge and explanations on procedure you are having is beyond expectation. Extremely friendly stuff makes you feel comfortable and welcome . Clean , organize clinic just ensure you, that you are in a good hands and right place !!"- M.T. / Facebook / May 18, 2019
"Great staff !!! The Doctor explained to me in detail the process of my 3 wisdom tooth extractions and what was going to happen to me during the surgery, a really patient and reliable person. Really kind staff, thank you all !"- P.C. / Facebook / May 07, 2019
Before intravenous sedation or anesthesia:
- You must not eat or drink (including water) for 8 hours before the surgical appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following surgery.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow (for the IV), and low-heeled shoes (so you do not fall after surgery).
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, or upset stomach, please notify the office.
- If you take any medications, please inform your surgical team.
After your procedure, you will rest in our recovery room until the surgeon releases you to go home. We will not allow any patient to drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours after an anesthesia administration. Each patient should have a trusted adult drive them home and stay to make sure there are no complications after surgery.
Plan Your Procedure
- Recovery Time
- 3 – 5 Days
- Post-op Follow-up
- 2 Weeks
- Procedure Recovery Location
No More Fear
Children and adults alike have fears and anxieties about the dentist. When surgery is mentioned, those fears can magnify and keep patients from seeking treatment. Our oral and maxillofacial surgeon provides his patients with options in sedation methods. Don't be afraid to make an appointment today, and we promise to make the experience as pain-free as possible with IV sedation and anesthesia.